How to Choose a Model of Sewing Machine
This question is most acute when choosing a specific model of computerized sewing machine. It is with this type of machine that the number of stitches often exceeds two hundred and causes ripples in the eyes and dizziness. You need to start your choice, not with the number of lines. There are more important parameters that should be decided first.
- The type of fabric which you are going to work with. There are machines for working with any type of fabric, there are models designed for light and medium, or vice versa, for medium and very heavy fabrics. If you definitely know that your main activity will be, for example, dance dresses made of silk and chiffon — take a machine for light fabrics, it will work with them better than the universal one. If your choice is leather and upholstery, consider models for medium and heavy fabrics. Usually, they have a larger gap between the foot and the needle plate, which allows a thicker layer of fabric under the foot, and a more powerful motor that can sew this layer.
- The maximum stitch length (up to 5 mm) and the maximum width of the zigzag (up to 7 mm). The more of these parameters, the better: it expands the field of possibilities.
- Type of shuttle: the shuttle can be vertical, with a removable bobbin case, and also horizontal, where there is no bobbin case. The second option is more modern and reliable - it has fewer parts that can break.
- The loop can be automatic and semi-automatic. A “full” machine allows you to perform up to 7 different types of loops, in one operation you can sweep the loop exactly to the size of a button, remember the size and repeat the loop of identical size the number you need. Semi-automatic loop usually performs more simple models. Here you determine the size, focusing on the markings on the foot, loop overlaps in 4 consecutive operations. It is not difficult and not that very long, but if you multiply by 10, 20, 30 buttons on a suit - the difference is decent.
- Optional, but very convenient features are the built-in needle threader, the ability to sew with a double needle, the needle positioning button, and the button bite. If you are going to sew a lot, you should pay attention to the possibility of working without a pedal and external speed control, it very much protects your foot, which after four to five hours of continuously pressing the pedal begins to complain, besides, the pedals fail faster than the machines themselves, and they do it, as a rule, at the most inappropriate moment.
At this general recommendations end and it remains to choose from the mass of the proposed lines, fonts and flowers that set that is useful to you personally, and I will finally tell you about another very important point.
The capabilities of the machines you purchased in the basic configuration is far from the limit. Accessories play a huge role in the quality of the result and the speed of its achievement. The fact is that for a quality result it is very important to choose the right foot, needle, and thread for each fabric and operation. The table of the ratio of the thickness of the needles and threads is in the instructions for the sewing machine - and then you are unlikely to go wrong.
But in addition, for difficult fabrics there are special needles - for example, they will be needed to work with leather, jeans, stretch fabrics, and jersey. Various sharpening of the tip allows them to work most accurately with the material for which they are intended. Very often there are situations when a beginning seamstress scolds a typewriter for skipping stitches or another scrap of a seam, and the thing is just the wrong choice of the needle.
Mounting foot also has a huge variety. At one of the largest Russian-speaking forums dedicated to needlework, the topic of various legs occupies more than 200 pages and is regularly updated. In this case, only the very minimum is included in the basic package. And here the initial choice of the machine begins to play the role - your capabilities can eventually rest against how easy it will be for you to acquire additional legs.
I would like to pay attention to the most frequently used of those that are not usually included in the basic package.
- Teflon, with this foot you will have no problems when sewing products from hard-to-carry materials, such as leather, plastic, suede, artificial fur, etc.
- Foot for roller hem, allows you to finely tuck and hem the edge. Happen to the hemming width of 2, 4 and 6 mm.
- Paws for trimming and sewing on ruffles.
- Foot for sewing slanting bake.
- Foot for sewing, beads, and sequins.
And hundreds of types of legs, attachments, and accessories designed to take on what was previously possible only by hand. Make your work easier and turn sewing into an exciting process.
Of course, this is not all that can be said about sewing machines. With seeming similarities, each model may have nuances and subtleties that will make it most suitable, or vice versa, unacceptable, personally for you. Convenience threading, the location of buttons and control levers, the sound during operation, the type of light bulb and more, and more, and more.
Make your work easier and turn sewing into an exciting process!